Thursday, December 11, 2014

Spiced Tea Mix from the Family Recipe Box


Recently, I was looking in my Mamaw’s recipe box for a favorite Christmas recipe when I came across this one for her Spiced Tea Mix. I thought, “What a great, old-fashioned Christmas gift alternative to hot chocolate mix.”

According to the note Mamaw made on the card, she got this recipe from a friend in 1969.  The mixture is reminiscent of a time when instant tea and Tang orange drink were in style. I remember enjoying warm cups of this fragrant drink at Christmas time, though she may have had it on hand all year round.

I love giving gifts that also have comforting memories to share.

Spiced Tea Mix
Makes enough to fill 1 pint-sided jar or 2 8-ounce jelly jars

1/4 cup instant tea
1 cup Tang powdered orange beverage
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

To make the jar: In a bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until well combined. Pour into jar and cover with lid.

To make the tea: Poor 1 cup boiling water into a mug. Add 2 heaping teaspoons of the tea mix and stir to combine. 


2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet idea! I love that it's an old fashioned recipe as well, one that's been passed down :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen a recipe with Tang since, oh I don't know, Linda maybe 1969, lol...I'll be mooning over this one for a while, lol...

    Thanks for sharing, Linda...

    ReplyDelete